Children's Book Specials

Monday, December 2, 2019

"Quick as a Cricket" Review

Author: Audrey Woods
Illustrator: Don Woods
 Publisher: Child's Play
Copyright: 1982
 ISBN: 0-85953-151-1
Accelerated Reader Book, reading level1.7
Through the use of simple text, with six words per page, the little boy describes himself using 22 different similes.  
"I'm as quick as a cricket, 
I'm as slow as a snail, 
I'm as small as an ant, 
I'm as large as a whale."  
In the end you,  
"Put it all together, and you've got ME!"
The colored pencil illustrations are full of color and detail depicting the boy as he is described on each page.
This book would be a great intro to a lesson on similes, or if you were having the chilren write about themselves.  The book is also a great way to talk about different feelings. (sad, happy, nice,  mean, tough, gentle, brave, shy, tame, lazy, busy)

I started reading this book to my daughter when she was around two and a half.  She loved it.  I think the illustrations pulled her in and it was a chance to discuss different creatures that you don't always see in fiction books (snail, lark, ox, clam, rhino, shrimp).

I love a book that is so versatile, that tells a story, but can be used for teaching a variety of things:  similes, animals, feelings.  I think this book can be enjoyed by many.

*this was written years ago, but I didnt publish it.

Review by Christy F. @ PrincessPinkk's Ponderings.

No comments:

Post a Comment